Saturday, October 25, 2014

Where We've Been





Ireland, in a word.  We were  in Ireland for the last part of September and the first part of October for our niece's wedding.  Hence the even sparser than usual posting here.  Now, I should have been able to do some of that using the smart phone.  All I needed were the Blogspot  passwords which were in my book.  In my book on my desk. In  my book on my desk at home.  Yeah.  Exactly.

In any event, we had a very enjoyable time.  (Except for the traveling bit. Airlines really resent the presence of customers and try to make it as uncomfortable for them as possible in hopes they'll give up and take a boat or the train.)

So, herewith in no particular order the photographs, which can, as usual, be clicked on and made far too large:


We stayed in Dublin at a place called Ariel House, which you can see above.  Yes, a phone camera.  You can always tell by the long, skinny format can't you.  Herself had the proper camera so it was the phone camera for me.  If you're  planning on stopping in Dublin,  I highly recommend Ariel House: comfortable rooms, a breakfast verging on the magnificent, and the friendliest and most helpful staff I've ever encountered anywhere.  (They have a website here.)


St Kevin Church in Harrington Street. This is the official Latin Mass Chaplaincy church appointed by the Archbishop of Dublin.  We attended a beautiful Sunday Mass here.  Weekday traditional Mass is available but the walk wasn't as straightforward (or as short) as I thought it was going to be.  In the event, daily Mass turned out to be either at St Teresa, the Discalced Carmelite church, or St Andrew on Westland Row, which was a 3 minute ride away on the DART and the DART station only half a block from Ariel House.  The Latin Mass Chaplaincy has its own webpage here with better pictures than I took.  St Kevin Church has one, too.  It's here.  (Do click on the second picture above showing the sanctuary.  You need a full-screen view of that.  It's a Pugin church and the reredos is nothing short of breathtaking.)



And there's the aforementioned Westland Row and Westland Row's organ.

And there's St Theresa, looking unaccountably plain in the shot.  It's really more ornate than my phone camera shot shows.  I should've taken some of the wonderful side altars.  Hmm.  A little late to think of  that now.

More later.  I need some lunch.